Preparation tiem: 15minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 1 cup pearl pishori – soak for about 15 minutes
- 350 gm spinach – discards stems and cut leaves into thin strips (2 cups)
- 2 carrots – grated (1 cup)
- 4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 brown cardamoms (moti illaichi)
- 1 stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 1 onion – sliced finely (1/2 cup)
- 1 ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp chilli powder or paprika
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in large, heavy bottomed pan. Add fennel seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves. Wait till fennel seeds just change colour.
- Add onions and stir fry till transparent.
- Add spinach and grated carrots. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Drain the water from the pearl pishori rice and add to the spinach& carrot mixture. Add salt and red chilli powder.
- Add 2 cups water and lemon juice. Stir gently to mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook covered, for 12-15 minutes or until the pearl pishori rice is done. Fluff it up with a fork to separate the grains. Serve.